We Fight For You And Your Freedom
Check Fraud Attorneys in Miami
Providing You with Effective White Collar Crime Defense
There are a number of different types of offenses that fall under the general category of check fraud. However, whether a person is convicted of bank check fraud or a check deposit scam, the results can be devastating and include both jail time and hefty fines. If you are being investigated for or have been charged with a check fraud offense, it is important to speak with an experienced federal crimes attorney in Miami who can help you formulate a solid defense.
Types of Check Fraud
Check fraud offenses range in scope and severity.
There are a few types of check fraud claims that are prosecuted more often than others, including:
- Bank check fraud, which occurs when a person orders or signs checks for a closed account;
- Fake check fraud, which involves the fabrication of checks using computer software, and in some cases, chemicals and solvents to modify a person’s information on a valid check;
- Check washing, which occurs when someone erases another person’s information from a check;
- Payroll check scams, wherein a fake payroll check is created or a real one is altered;
- Check cashing fraud, which occurs when someone cashes tax refunds when they have knowledge that the checks were obtained as a result of identity theft or if they know that the checks are invalid;
- Check kiting fraud, which involves creating bank accounts at various financial institutions, writing checks from one of the accounts to others, and then using the time after the checks are cashed and before the money is subtracted to make it look like there is money in the account; and
- Electronic check fraud, which often involves gaining online access to a bank account and using the account information to create counterfeit checks.
The severity of a punishment for check fraud depends on the specific offense. For instance, if a person used a computer or the internet to perpetrate the fraud, he or she can be charged with wire fraud or computer fraud, both of which can result in decades-long prison sentences. Federal law also specifically criminalizes knowingly participating in a scheme designed to obtain assets from a financial institution. A recent court decision clarified that any fraud scheme that is intended to obtain funds from a bank could justify a charge of federal bank fraud as long as the false statements were transmitted to a financial institution. This means that most check fraud offenses can be prosecuted in federal court. If convicted of federal check fraud, a person could face up to 30 years in prison, be required to pay thousands of dollars’ worth of fines, pay restitution to any victims, and serve a term of probation.
Why Hire Us?
Serving Criminal Defense Clients For Over 45 Years
We Are Available 24/7 and Offer Free Consultations
Fully Prepared to Get The Best Possible Results in Each Case
We Wrote the Book on How to Handle Federal Cases
We are Top-Rated and Award Winning Attorneys
Speak With An Attorney
Contact Us to Speak With a Skilled Federal Crimes Attorney in Miami
If you live in south Florida and are being investigated for check fraud, please call the legal team of Jeffrey S. Weiner, P.A. at 305 670-9919 to speak with a dedicated Miami check fraud attorney who is well-versed in both state and federal law. We are eager to assist you with your case.
What Our Clients Are Saying
I am forever grateful for the work done by attorney Jeffrey Weiner. I had never before needed a defense attorney... read moreCharlie Daye
This office was recommended to me by a friend, and I couldn't be happier with the service! They are awesome... read moreMegan Cobb
Mr. Weiner is an outstanding attorney and a man of his word. I came to him over 20 years ago... read moreEdwin L
Mr. Weiner will always respond to you when you need him. Mr. Weiner has handled multiple cases for me and the results have always exceeded my expectations. He has an innate... read moreChris M.
Probably the best lawyer in Miami! Probably the best lawyer in Miami! During my research his name came up several times and I was very impressed... read moreAndres
I would recommend her to anyone! I am writing this to highly recommend Annabelle Nahra as an outstanding criminal defense attorney. Mrs. Nahra recently represented me... read moreZach
I owe what I am today, a free man, thank you! If professionalism tenacity compression and love is all about we should mention Miss Annabelle Nahra, I came to her hands... read moreJorge
Jeff is not only a colleague, he is one of my closest friends, someone I respect and admire for the... read moreDavid Elden
Jeffrey, Diego, and his entire staff always made us feel at ease and that they would do anything in their power to protect us. I just wanted to update to let everyone know how much of a gentlemen Mr. Diego has been to my... read moreLuis R.
Schedule a Free Consultation Now
Hire a team of dedicated attorneys who have successfully obtained favorable results for thousands of clients.
The Law Office Of Jeffrey S. Weiner Is Based In Miami, Florida And Represents Clients Throughout Florida In Both State And Federal Courts, Throughout The United States, As Well As International Criminal Courts.
How May We Help You?
Call Us Now
Send Us A Message
Visit Our Office
Two Datran Center,
9130 South Dadeland Blvd.
Miami, Florida 33156