We Fight For You And Your Freedom
Check Fraud Lawyer In Miami
Providing You With Effective White Collar Crime Defense
There are a number of different types of offenses that fall under the general category of check fraud. However, whether a person is convicted of bank check fraud or a check deposit scam, the results can be devastating and include both jail time and hefty fines. If you are being investigated for or have been charged with this type of offense, it is important to speak with an experienced check fraud lawyer in Miami who can help you get the best possible result.
Types Of Check Fraud
The types of offenses range in scope and severity.
Here are a few types of claims:
- Bank check fraud, which occurs when a person orders or signs checks for a closed account
- Fake check fraud, which involves the fabrication of checks using computer software, and in some cases, chemicals and solvents to modify a person’s information on a valid check
- Check washing, which occurs when someone erases another person’s information from a check
- Payroll check scams, wherein a fake payroll check is created or a real one is altered;
- Check cashing fraud, which occurs when someone cashes tax refunds when they have knowledge that the checks were obtained as a result of identity theft or if they know that the checks are invalid
- Check kiting fraud, which involves creating bank accounts at various financial institutions, writing checks from one of the accounts to others, and then using the time after the checks are cashed and before the money is subtracted to make it look like there is money in the account
Electronic check fraud, which often involves gaining online access to a bank account and using the account information to create counterfeit checks
The severity of a punishment for committing a crime like this depends on the specific offense. For instance, if a person used a computer or the internet to perpetrate the fraud, he or she can be charged with wire fraud or computer fraud, both of which can result in long prison sentences. Federal law also specifically criminalizes knowingly participating in a scheme designed to obtain assets from a financial institution. A recent court decision clarified that any fraud scheme that is intended to obtain funds from a bank could justify a charge of federal bank fraud as long as the false statements were transmitted to a financial institution. This means that most check fraud offenses can be prosecuted in federal court. If convicted of federal check fraud, a person could face up to 30 years in prison, be required to pay thousands of dollars’ worth of fines, pay restitution to any victims, and serve a term of probation.
Why Hire Us?
Serving Criminal Defense Clients For Over 46 Years
We Are Available 24/7 and Offer Complimentary Consultations
Fully Prepared to Get The Best Possible Results in Each Case
We Wrote the Book on How to Handle Federal Cases
We are Top-Rated and Award Winning Attorneys
Speak With An Attorney
What Our Clients Are Saying
Best defense in the state. Always there when needed. Thank you for always being there through rough times. I would... read moreAnthony James
Yisel Villar is top notch! She is the best and extremely knowledgeable. If you need a criminal attorney do not... read moreSteven Silverberg
They say a good attorney knows the law and a great attorney knows the judge but Jeff Weiner is in... read moreJonathan Piccolo
I highly recommend Jeff Weiner and co. I felt I was a family member talking to my kin.
Yisel and... read moreTile Masters & Remodeling INC Dan Campbell
Lanre Kelani: The law firm of Jeffrey wiener and the people who worked there can only be described as consummate... read moreLanre kelani
During one of my educational presentation for the Valencia Gun Club in South Florida (close to 100 members) I am... read moreA Google User
During one of my educational presentation for the Valencia Gun Club in South Florida (close to 100 members) I am... read moreDean Levrey
Schedule a Complimentary Consultation Now
Hire a team of dedicated attorneys who have successfully obtained favorable results for thousands of clients.
The Law Office Of Jeffrey S. Weiner Is Based In Miami, Florida And Represents Clients Throughout Florida In Both State And Federal Courts, Throughout The United States, As Well As International Criminal Courts.
How May We Help You?
Call Us Now
Send Us A Message
Visit Our Office
Two Datran Center,
9130 South Dadeland Blvd.
Miami, Florida 33156