Skip to Content
Jeffrey S. Weiner, P.A. Jeffrey S. Weiner, P.A.
Available 24/7 305-985-6640

If a Police Officer or Federal Agent Arrests Me & Wants Me to Give a Statement, What Should I Do

You should never, under any circumstance, give any statement to law enforcement without the benefit of representation by an experienced criminal defense attorney. You see, there's nothing to be gained by talking with the police, because even if you've done nothing wrong, in the normal course of human events people make mistakes, they say things that aren't accurate, and those things can often be used against you. Innocent comments have convicted many people, and it's horrible when it happens. It's preferable and intelligent and proper and respected by police when you simply say, "Sir or Ma'am... Before I say anything, I'd like to talk with my lawyer," and that's it. You say nothing more. The police won't think you're guilty, they'll think you're smart, and it can save you from being convicted of a crime.